Erik Ly is a successful freelance illustrator, creator of Ephemeral Complex. He has created the covers of comics like Sonic & Megaman, has been published in Udon’s Capcom Fighting Tribute, in Spectrum #23 & #24 in The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art and has been in Art Galleries as well. Some of his clients include Amazon, Archie Comics, WILL Interactive, Republic of Apps, Scoopy Loop, Ximad Games and many more.
We found Erik Ly last year in CTNX, in this interview he talks to us about the logistics of being a freelancer, how to use events to your advantage, tips on how to network with great artists and how to find a unique style to your illustrations.
Interview with Erik Ly:
(Click the play button to watch the video interview above)
Click here to watch in a new Tab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REhoZ6wRHZ0
In this Episode, You Will Learn:
- Erik Ly’s Story
- How to find a unique style
- How to plan for freelancing
- How to make the best of events
- Tips on getting work
- Find really good friends that will support you and believe that you’re awesome, but find also friends who can be 100% honest with you and will give you a good critique, the last one is hard to find.
- The path is hard enough to make it harder having doubts and negative thoughts about your work.
- People can be very narrow minded, even if they love you, and you’re not in control of their thinking, so you just gotta believe in yourself.
- Don’t throw away a job or a task just because you don’t like it, the way to abandon it is when something inside you knows that this is not getting you any closer to the vision you want.
Did You Enjoy This Interview? Let Us Know On Twitter!
If you enjoyed this interview, please let Erik and I know on Twitter by clicking on the link below:
Now it’s Your Turn!
Got questions or any advice or thoughts you want to share about this interview or anything you learned that helped you on your way to freedom? What’s one thing you can take from Erik Ly’s Journey? Please feel free to share in the comments section below!
Thanks so much for watching the interview with Erik Ly, I truly appreciate YOU!
Until Next Time!