Sam Deats is the Creative Director of Powerhouse Animation studio and is the Director of Netflix’s Castlevania animated series. He has also worked in the video games of Darksiders & Battle Chasers working with Joe Madureira. He’s also a talented animator, illustrator, character designer and a Storyboard artist. Skills he used in Castlevania as he created the concept arts, storyboards and helped in the animation of the series.
(Be sure to watch the video interview below!)
Sam Deats was able to get into Powerhouse Animation when they were starting out and were a small team, and through them he was able to learn a lot about business, the industry, several art forms and styles and ended up working on many international projects. He’s a big fan of video games and Japanese anime, he’s been playing Castlevania since the first one came out and has played all of them, which ended up helping him to better understand the universe of the series and having many influences to inspire his art.
Note: There were some tech limitations for this interview so this time there’s only audio, still the lessons here are great.
Interview with Sam Deats:
(Click the play button to watch the video interview above)
Click here to watch in a new Tab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBmpkHcNus
In this Episode, You Will Learn:
- Sam Deats’s Story
- The process of creating an animated series
- How to learn for yourself to become a better artist
- How to use internet to your advantage
- How to learn different art forms and styles
- You gotta learn how to be sociable and work well in a team in order to become an efficient artist.
- If you want to create your own project you’ll have to deal with more math than you think.
- Draftsmanship is really important, understand design, understand drawing, focus on the fundamental skills, they will affect everything you do.
- There has to be a balance between the tons of ideas you get, and learn to know where to stop that and use what works already.
- If you lack the art skill, focus on storytelling, if the story is good, you’ll make it.
Did You Enjoy This Interview? Let Us Know On Twitter!
If you enjoyed this interview, please let Sam and I know on Twitter by clicking on the link below:
Now it’s Your Turn!
Got questions or any advice or thoughts you want to share about this interview or anything you learned that helped you on your way to freedom? What’s one thing you can take from Sam Deats’s Journey? Please feel free to share in the comments section below!
Thanks so much for watching the interview with Sam Deats, I truly appreciate YOU!
Until Next Time!